Advertisement

Read about the latest Gaming news and announcements. The official blog of Activision, publishers of Call of Duty, Sekiro, Crash Bandicoot, Skylanders, and more.

The Ready Player One Cast Takes Our Oasis Quiz


It's nearly time for Ready Player One to hit theaters, giving fans their first chance to see the virtual world first created by author Ernest Cline's novel of the same name in 2011. With Steven Spielberg directing, the movie attempts to fully immerse viewers in this future world that's a mix between dystopian and a dream come true.

While there's plenty to look forward to seeing in Ready Player One--including robots, dinosaurs, Master Chief, and so much more--what happens when the technology shown in the film becomes something you can actually use? In recent years, virtual reality has become far more common in gaming--with the PlayStation 4 even getting its own VR add-on. While the Oasis in the film is still far more advanced than anything you can play now, it's not unreasonable to believe something similar could be developed in the next few years.

What would you want to see if you could set foot in the Oasis and what would your avatar look like? GameSpot asked these questions and more of the Ready Player One cast at WonderCon. After filming the movie and fully immersing themselves in the nostalgia on display, they're all more than ready to journey into its virtual world.

After you check out their answers, take a look at the ridiculous amount of Easter eggs and references in the film's trailer, along with a special collection of posters that take their cues from several classic movies. Ready Player One arrives on the big screen on March 29.


Tye Sherridan (Parzival)


Question: What's your favorite Easter egg in the Oasis?

Tye Sheridan: I would have to say my favorite, and I knew he plays a big part in the movie, is the Iron Giant. That's one of my all-time favorite films and I have a strong relationship with that character because I watched it so many times as a kid.


Lena Waithe (Aech)


Question: What's your favorite Easter egg in the Oasis?

Lena Waithe: I really liked the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! I think I saw Sonic [the Hedgehog] in there, which is one of my personal favorites. Chucky pops up; there's so many things that make you feel nostalgic.


Philip Zhao (Sho)


Question: What's your favorite Easter egg in the Oasis?

Phillip Zhao: I choose Iron Giant. Come on, he looks really huggable for some reason. I just want to get in a big hug with him.


Ben Mendelsohn (Sorrento)


Question: What's your favorite Easter egg in the Oasis?

Ben Mendelsohn: There's a bunch of them. The music! Blue Monday was a huge maxi single, I was there! But you've even got BioShock, and I'm down for BioShock. I mean, Big Daddy!


Win Morisaki (Daito)


Question: What's your favorite Easter egg in the Oasis?

Win Morisaki: Cowboy Bebop! I watched on Netflix the anime and I loved that anime. I saw the plane on the poster, I loved that.


Ernest Cline (author and screenwriter)


Question: What's your favorite Easter egg in the Oasis?

Ernest Cline: I love seeing the Street Fighter II characters. My daughter is a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan. She got really happy when she saw Sonic and Hello Kitty in one scene.

I got to sneak the movie marquee from Zak's movie Last Action Hero into a scene and he didn't know about it!


Zak Penn (screenwriter)


Question: What's your favorite Easter egg in the Oasis?

Zak Penn: I love that they got the [Ray] Harryhausen characters in there too. There's a Cyclops and the skeletons. I was psyched that Master Chief made it in there. I knew they would be because Steven [Spielberg] likes Halo also. But, to me, seeing those Harryhausen characters alongside all of them.


Lena Waithe (Aech)


Question: What or where would you visit in the Oasis?

Lena Waithe: I would want to visit some live music. We could recreate a vintage '90s Whitney Houston concert or Michael Jackson during the bad album, something like that. I'd want to go to those experiences. That, to me, would be really cool.


Philip Zhao (Sho)


Question: What or where would you visit in the Oasis?

Phillip Zhao: The Adventures of Tintin! That's my favorite Spielberg movie. I love the comics and I just want to be Tintin. I love dogs and Snowy; he's pretty much invincible. So, you can throw him into any situation and he can do anything.


Ben Mendelsohn (Sorrento)


Question: What or where would you visit in the Oasis?

Ben Mendelsohn: I might pop into Alien for a bit, walk around the Nostromo. That'd be pretty cool. No, it'd be f***ing terrifying.


Win Morisaki (Daito)


Question: What or where would you visit in the Oasis?

Win Morisaki: I have a list, but I'm going to choose Saving Private Ryan. I love that movie, so I'm going to go inside the movie and try to save Ryan!


Lena Waithe (Aech)


Question: What person or character would you use for avatar inspiration in the Oasis?

Lena Waithe: I would want to be a mix of Tupac, Prince, and Pharell. They're all my style icons, so I want to feel like those guys in the Oasis.


Philip Zhao (Sho)


Question: What person or character would you use for avatar inspiration in the Oasis?

Phillip Zhao: I'd just be myself. Because Win and I have agreed that I look pretty handsome. So, you don't want to take risks on making it ugly or artificial. You want to play it safe.


Ben Mendelsohn (Sorrento)


Question: What person or character would you use for avatar inspiration in the Oasis?

Ben Mendelsohn: I might go for some kind of tank general or something. Maybe I'll be Patton!


Win Morisaki (Daito)


Question: What person or character would you use for avatar inspiration in the Oasis?

Win Morisaki: For me, Doraemon. It's a cat robot anime from Japan. It's something that every kid was watching. There are TV and movies. It's like a kid's best friend. I would be him.




from GameSpot https://ift.tt/2pLX4KY

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Like US On Facebook

Email Subscriptions

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Like US On Facebook

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *